FUTURES Foundation hires College Success Coach for its Take Stock in Children Program
FUTURES Foundation for Volusia County Schools has hired Wendy Feigenbaum, Ormond Beach, as a Take Stock in Children (TSIC) College Success Coach.
Mrs. Feigenbaum will be responsible for ensuring TSIC students at the five West Volusia County public high schools meet or exceed TSIC program requirements. She graduated from Stephen F. Austin State University with a bachelor’s degree in Human Sciences, Food/Nutrition/Dietetics. Most recently Mrs. Feigenbaum has been employed as a substitute teacher within Volusia County Schools.
Take Stock in Children of Florida was established in 1995 as a non-profit organization in Florida that provides a unique opportunity for deserving low-income students, many from minority families, to escape the cycle of poverty through education. TSIC offers students college scholarships, caring volunteer mentors and hope for a better life. FUTURES’ TSIC scholars are selected in the eighth grade through an application and selection committee review process. TSIC scholars are paired with a volunteer mentor who meets with their student for 30 minutes each week on school campus beginning in the ninth grade. TSIC’s comprehensive services include students’ transition into college.
Incoming 2019 TSIC scholars must maintain a weighted cumulative GPA of 2.5 and maintain good citizenship (no drug, alcohol, crime or gang activity). Upon achieving these goals and graduating high school, they are awarded a four-year college tuition Florida Prepaid scholarship. The Stanley G. Tate STARS Scholarship Program within the Florida Prepaid Foundation currently provides a dollar for dollar match of locally raised scholarship donations to assist FUTURES with the purchase of these scholarships thereby doubling a donor’s gift.
For more information about mentoring or matching donation opportunities, please contact TSIC Student Services & Mentor Coordinator Shimene Shepard at 386.255.6475, ext. 50724, or sashepar@Volusia.k12.fl.us.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- Volusia Names Nicole Grebosz Teacher of the Year
- Launch Federal Credit Union donates $2,000 to FUTURES Foundation
- Women United donates $2,500 to Take Stock in Children Program
- FUTURES Foundation Elects Jessica Eckelbarger to its Board
- FUTURES Foundation Received a $12,000 Hurricane Irma Relief Grant from the United Way of Volusia-Flagler Counties
- ?FUTURES Foundation receives $5,000 grant from Duke Energy Foundation?
- FUTURES Celebrates the 2020 Teacher of the Year Nominees
- FUTURES Foundation & Volusia County Schools names First Year Teachers of the Year